Limited Offer: State of Employee Performance Management 2016 Global Edition

State of Employee Performance Management 2016 Global Edition, conducted in partnership with KPISOFT, analyses employee performance trends based on input received from more than 1,000 survey respondents, coming from 100 countries around the world.


State of Employee Performance Management 2016 Global Edition is an extensive research study conducted at international level, presenting findings that cover a vast range of key topics related to employee appraisals. From the usage of structured employee performance management systems to insights into the system’s dynamics, tools, coordination and periodicity, the report highlights current practices of global organizations, as well as, their outcomes on employee satisfaction.

Report Structure

The report looks into 34 topics, covering a large spectrum of perspectives, as follows:

  • Relevance of employee performance management
  • Employee performance management configuration
  • Governance
  • Timing
  • Performance culture
  • Pay-for-performance
  • Software solution
  • Satisfaction

Key findings

  • 75% of participants claim that their organization is currently using a formal performance management appraisal system.
  • 42% of professionals view the employee performance management system mainly as a way to get rewarded for their efforts.
  • 22% of respondents claim appraisal systems to be bureaucratic and time-consuming.
  • In 77% of cases, the responsibility for coordinating an employee performance system belongs to the Human Resources Department. Meanwhile, at operational level, the responsibility to develop the employee performance plans is shared between employees and managers (62%).
  • 40% of organizations have an annual employee performance planning meeting, while bi-annually seems to be second most common frequency for such a process.
  • In 38% of cases, organizations plan yearly refresher sessions in the training calendar on matters that relate to the employee performance management process, with the scope of improving competencies in managing individual performance.
  • 63% of organizations are using Microsoft Excel or Word for developing and managing employee performance plans and appraisals, while the rest (37%) of them are using a dedicated employee performance management software.

Order Now

Useful to any executive manager, HR professional as well as entrepreneurs and analysts interested in employee performance management, the report is available in electronic format on Order until the 10th of May and get a FREE copy of the report. The cost of the report after this date is $495.

Future directions

From a broad perspective, The KPI Institute’ specialists envision the future of performance management systems as a framework that is no longer focused on control and the evaluation process itself, but on employees. This employee centered system should be characterized by:

  • Involving staff members in the process of establishing the appraisal framework;
  • Promoting performance discussions;
  • Building a feedback culture;
  • Shifting from annual evaluations to permanent discussions that create impact on how the individual works;
  • Using technology to capture data and gain access to performance results in real-time;
  • Focusing on the individual, of finding ways to maximize the potential of each employee;
  • Implementing initiatives to engage employees and gamification schemes;
  • Diversifying rewards and recognitions policies, going beyond traditional bonus structures.

The KPI Institute assists organizations with transforming their employee appraisal system and building the next best practices in individual performance management. Our constant research in this area is meant to highlight latest trends in employee performance management, as well as, indicate future directions.

The KPI Institute April 25th, 2016 Research